Guidance From Lawyers Who Care

Filing a civil claim for sexual abuse of a child

On Behalf of | Sep 27, 2022 | Sexual Abuse

Many children in the Kansas City area have been physically or sexually abused by a teacher or other adult, causing them trauma they may have to deal with for the rest of their lives. The perpetrators who commit these horrific acts may be held liable both criminally and civilly.

Filing a sexual abuse claim in civil court

Child molestation and other sex crimes in Missouri warrant criminal charges, but these criminal charges are often filed with the intent to punish the abuser for their wrongdoings and prevent them from hurting anyone else.

Civil claims, on the other hand, are filed with the intention of supporting the children and their families, financially and otherwise. You can file a claim on behalf of your child to recover damages for:

  • Medical expenses (e.g., hospital bills, therapy or rehabilitation)
  • Mental distress (e.g., depression, anxiety, insomnia, or post-traumatic stress disorder)
  • Physical and emotional pain and suffering
  • Loss of enjoyment of life

If you decide to file a civil sexual abuse claim on behalf of your child, you may consider listing the person who committed the abuse, the school itself, and the school district as defendants in your suit. You may also list several causes of actions, including assault, battery and intentional/negligent infliction of emotional distress and negligent supervision. The specificities of your complaint will depend on the facts of your case.

Sexual abuse cases involving children are often some of the most difficult to handle emotionally. Having an experienced attorney in your corner can make the process easier for both you and your child.